The Declaration of Independence declared the establishment of the first parliamentary parliamentary republic in the Turkic-Muslim world and in the entire East -the Democratic Republic of Azerbaijan. The Declaration of Independence of the National Council of Azerbaijan stated:
1. Since this day, Azerbaijan, covering the South-East Transcaucasia is fully independent state.
2. The people of the independent Azerbaijan are the source of government.
3. The People’s Republic of Azerbaijan will establish good relations with all nations, especially with neighbor countries.
4. The People’s Republic of Azerbaijan ensures the political rights and citizenship to all its residents within its bounds regardless of nationality, faith, class, estate and sex.
5. The People’s Republic of Azerbaijan creates wide opportunities for free development of all nations, residing within its bounds.
6. Azerbaijan will be headed by the Temporary Government, reporting to the National Council and the National Council, elected by the people, until the gathering of the Assembly of Entrepreneurs.